About Basic Steel Supplies
Basic Steel Supplies is a supplier of quality steel and steel outdoor home improvements based at Lonsdale in Adelaide’s southern suburbs.
The business has been successfully run at our location at 5 Somerset circuit for over 30 years. We supply all type of steel and can cut, crop and punch to your requirements. We also have an on site fabrication service, where we can weld anything from structural beams for house extensions right through to trailer repairs and modifications.
Talk to our Team
• RUST PROOF – A choice of either zinc alume or galvanised. Galvanised steel is used worldwide due to its anti-corrosive properties. A coating of metallic zinc and zinc-iron alloy layers are bonded to the steel protect it from oxidisation and help it retain its strength and appearance. Zinc Alume works on a similar principal to produce steel that is practically rust proof.
• RESISTANT TO THE ENVIRONMENT – Steel is a metal alloy and is subject to little weathering. Resistant to insects such as termites that can destroy traditional wooden structures and because it doesn’t break down appreciably, your steel structure is protected from harmful environmental effects that can be serious issues with other structural materials. Steel is also a non-burning material which doesn’t contribute fuel for fires.
• LIGHTWEIGHT AND STRONG – Steel is one of the world’s most common building materials because it is a light but strong material that can be easily manipulated and installed. Steel has to highest strength to weight ratio of any other building material in use today. Because it is inorganic it resists warping, rotting and breaking down and retains its high-tensile strength. Perfect for DIY projects because it can be easily handled by one person.
• DURABLE AND LONG-LASTING – The Australian Steel Institute ensure the quality of steel produced in Australia meets their high standards. This means that steel has a reliable material consistency. Galvanised steel has a life expectancy of 50 years in most rural environments and 25 years in even the harshest Australian conditions.
• DUCTILITY – Steel has high ductility, meaning it performs to specifications even under high stress. Because it retains its strength under strain, it is well adapted to building purposes.
Steel is high-tensile and durable. It is used worldwide in construction and infrastructure because of its long-life and adaptability.
The Australian Steel Institute ensures all steel manufactured in Australia complies with their guidelines, meaning steel can be relied upon to be consistently better than other structural materials
Carbon Steel used in construction accounts for over 90% of all steel produced worldwide.
The lightest material with a high-tensile strength used in the world for building applications.
The world’s largest construction projects, such as skyscrapers, employ steel because of its notorious strength.
Supports a higher load when compared to its own weight.
The critical temperature (the point at which it loses structural integrity) of steel is higher than most building materials, meaning it is not only fire resistant but will by largely undamaged due to excessive heat.